Sunday, April 24, 2011

Yummy Summer Steak

Do I really expect to get any followers with a post that has yummy in the title? So descriptive. It's also taken me 3 days to post this-I have to work on getting more ideas and fast!

In any case, here is a recipe that I love to make on warm spring and summer evenings. It's a marinated skirt steak served with chimichurri. I serve the meat and sauce with some roasted potatoes (I'll give you the recipe) and a green vegetable-the asparagus looked great, so that's what I chose.

Let me preface this post, and well, this blog, with a fact about me. I love olive oil. And garlic. But especially olive oil. I use a ton of it and I think it's healthy and yummy.

That being said, let's begin.

First off, let's start with the meat. The best cut for this recipe is a hangar steak. Unfortunately, that's not that easy to find (the rumor is that it's the best cut so the butchers keep it for themselves). So, the next best option is a skirt steak, followed by a flank steak. Flank can be a bit tougher than the skirt or hangar, so be warned.

Steak:
04 22_2172_edited-1

I then throw the whole hunk of meat (and yes, it will be long and thin) into a large ziploc bag. I then add the following ingredients to the bag:

04 22_2177_edited-1

Honestly, you can put the ingredients in any amounts, depending on your taste. I find i put a generous helping of the olive oil to make more liquid. I usually crush or press 2 large cloves of garlic, then add a dash of worcesteshire and a good swig of the soy and balsamic.

Squeeze the air out of the bag as much as possible and zip it up.

04 22_2178_edited-1

Throw it in the fridge-the longer the better, but I'd say for at least 2 hours.

You can make the chimichurri for this dish up to a couple of hours before hand, as long as you cover it with some saran wrap before you are ready to serve.

Take the following ingredients: bunch of parsley, bunch of mint, bunch of cilantro, a couple of shallots, a couple of cloves of garlic, some lemon juice , sherry vinegar (about 2 tbsp) and some olive oil and throw it in your mini blender:

04 22_2180_edited-1

Grind well and put it in a nice serving dish and it will look like this:

04 22_2181_edited-1

When you're ready, grill the meat. Be SURE not to overcook it, as it will get tough if it's more than medium.

04 22_2182_edited-1

The grill should be at least 500-600 degrees when you throw the meat on and you should cook it for only about 4 minutes each side..it's ok if it smokes!

04 22_2184_edited-1

When hot, slice the meat on an angle and arrange it on a plate with the chimichurri:

04 22_2185_edited-1

When served with your lovely veggies, the plate looks like it is bursting with spring and summer!

My plate looked like this:

04 22_2187_edited-1

And my daughter's plate looked like this:

04 22_2186_edited-1

Pretty, no? In case you think I starve my child, she also had some rice on the side!

Side note:
Here's my roasted potatoes recipe...it's a bit "a la Grecque":

Take small round potatoes and cut into small pieces (I do quarters).
Grease a small pan with some Pam.
Throw the potatoes in a single layer and then generously pour...yop, you guessed it.. Olive oil!
Add some pressed garlic and kosher salt and toss and then arrange back in a single layer.
Roast at 425 for about 30 minutes...Squeeze some lemon on the potatoes about 20 minutes in.
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment